In Buddhist tradition, one’s reincarnation in the world is based on their collection of good and bad karma. And thus I wonder sometimes: Am I maximizing my good karma? When it’s time to be reincarnated will God allocate me favorably? Who or what will I be in my future lifetime? A King or a third-world peasant? An Italian model or a Buddhist monk? A revolutionary or a statistic?
No. I want something different.
I want be reincarnated as a trance song - one with really good vocals – or at least a pair of stunning headphones or perhaps one of my favorite books, something with power like Black Boy or Yoshimoto’s Kitchen (see above tab). Forget that: I wanna be reincarnated as the color blue… not any type of blue but the type that blankets the world before the sun sets: the hue of contemplation. I want to return to the world as an autumn breeze or a floor-to-ceiling window over-looking the TOKYO skyline or the sands on a Rio beach. Maybe even a boat navigating the waters of Venice. I wanna be re-created as the word “love” and all its variations: l'amour, 爱, amore, 사랑, amor, حب. I wanna be reborn as Lauryn Hill’s song or Malcolm X’s echoing voice or Common’s rhymes or simply…
a better me: maybe a different color, height, gender, nationality or even ethnicity. As long as it's me. Sometimes I wonder: am I maximizing my karma? How will my choices, actions and mistakes shape my hereafter?